The “OM-D E-M1” has announced. I had the pleasure of being at Olympus announcement event with The Phoblographer crew. I got a, quick, hands on with the camera and…. Well… I am still not sold. It is a good piece of gear, just not for me. Here are my quick thoughts. A more detailed analysis was done by my partners here.
The actual event, on the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York, was fantastic. I will post more on that later.
- The camera UI is actually very nice.
- It’s the first Evf I felt was usable. While I love my optical viewfinder if my d700, I can see the advantages of this EM1s Evf
- The camera has a great build quality. I can see why people like it, Water proof and dust proof.
- There is a nice selection of lenses available. There is an equivalent of all my favorite lenses, which is nice if I decided to switch.
- Image quality is good.
- The em1 is bloody expensive 1399 body only. The point of entry is way to hi. I know it’s supposed to be a proish camera, but it seemed more was put into the bells and whistles then the actual camera bits.
- The “OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1” is not full frame hell not even an aps-c sensor. I hate that the sensors are getting smaller, yet the
- My D5100 does not seem that much bigger, has 16 MP and cost half as much. A new d5200 has 24 MP and still cost a lot less. The new canon sl1 is tiny has 18mp aps-c and still cost way less as well.
- I could not just pick up the camera and be satisfied with it. I need time. Simple fact is, most camera I can be functional with it in minutes. I felt I needed a few hours with the “OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1”
It takes a lot for me to be truly impressed with a camera lately, Olympus nor has any one lately truly done that. If I had more time with the camera, a manual, I could grow to like it. I am sure many photographers will be impressed with the Olympus OMD EM1. If someone put this in my hand and gave me all the lenses I needed, I would use this it. I can’t see making and investment in it though. Maybe in a few years when it’s old and out dated, I’ll use it to replace my ep1 which I got very cheaply off of bay of e.