Last week I shot with my 35mm f/1.8G , for seven days, just for fun and my 365 project.
It has been a long uncanny road with this lens. The AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G, was the first lens I purchased. I do not count my kit lens. If I could do it all over again, I would have purchased my Nikon D90, body only ,and he 35mm lens. It is the best way to start out with DSLR photography in my view. If you need to zoom, you just walk. If you can get to a subject, get creative with your composure.
The Lens is extremely versatile and can travel anywhere. If you own a Nikon DX camera like the D7000 or the D90, you should own this lens. This lens is great for beginners and well seasoned photographers with DX Cameras . There are photographers who have used a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX lens on a full frame camera.
From the Manufacturer
With a compact, lightweight design, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G provides the high reproduction capability and picture quality for which Nikkor lenses are renowned at an affordable price. The ring type SWM offers quiet AF operation. Although all lens groups shift during focusing, the front element and filter mount do not rotate and the barrel length does not change, which is useful when using filter mounted SB-R200 Wireless Remote Speedlight units.
The AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G optical design allows a different look and feel to images taken with zoom lenses, and its dimensions are ideal for discrete snapshots and landscape shooting with a picture angle that approximates that of the human eye. With its rounded seven-blade diaphragm opening, out-of-focus elements appear more natural. When mounted on a DX-format SLR, the picture angle is the 35mm equivalent focal length of 50mm.
The AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G has two focus modes, M/A (manual override autofocus) and M (manual focus). The M/A mode enables instant manual switching during AF operation. The lens also features a rubber seal to minimize moisture ingression around the mount and can focus down to 0.3 meters (0.98 ft).
AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Lens Highlights
- Fast, f/1.8 prime lens is perfect for low-light conditions, travel, environmental portrait and general photography
- Engineered for Nikon DX-format D-SLRS, the AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G lens renders a picture angle approximating the classic normal angle of view of a 50mm lens on a Nikon FXformat digital SLR or 35mm film camera
- Aspherical lens element minimizes coma and other types of lens aberrations, further improving image integrity
- Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) enhances light transmission efficiency and offers color consistency and reduced flare
- Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast, accurate and quiet autofocus
- Close focusing to 1 foot for creative perspectives and versatility
- Rounded 7-blade diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural